Online Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Latest Posts

Main Forums

Fabletop

Support

Report a Bug

Coming Soon: Miniature Figurines

frost May '15
When Fabletop first launched, not all browsers supported HTML5 canvas. The only way to support dynamic miniature colors was to go with the current flat "cardboard standup" approach. The character graphics are actually see-through "cut-outs", with a flat color showing through from behind.

Now that canvas is universally supported I've been working on a way to make our miniatures more figurine-like. I'm happy to say it's almost done.

You can see them here:
imgur.com/u3QpAPy

That's not a mockup -- they are in the game and work exactly like the current ones, including the ability to recolor them.

In a future update there will probably be the ability to change more than one color, but the first step is the overall conversion.

There is still quite a bit of clean up and polishing to do, but hopefully you will be able to start playing with them soon.

What do you think?
oman1666 May '15
The current image shows only miniatures with their feet touching the ground, I'm curious how things like the bat will work as a figurine, and what about the occasionally useful blank miniature?

At the very least, I am curious to see this :)
frost May '15
Aerial figures still have a base on the ground to show where they are positioned, which looks fine.

Blank miniatures/markers work much better this way since they don't obscure part of the board. It's just like placing a token on the table.
alaner May '15
Oh. My. God. It's epic.
klffighter May '15
all of my yes! --hands over a basket of cupcakes with the word yes on them--
take them and use them wisely
palegeon May '15
Yay. No more black backgrounds for miniatures. Is that a PNG format at work or something else?
frost May '15
Yes, it's PNG.
ferhargo May '15
I'm not sure what it is, but there's something slightly off-putting about those graphics. They look... blocky? Pixelated? I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to them, but for the moment they just look slightly odd.
frost May '15
They will look more pixellated than before because I will not be scaling them down as I am currently. I may revisit that eventually, just not in this update. The borders in that screenshot also are much darker than what will be released, which makes it a lot more pronounced. It's actually a closer fit to the battlemat, which is also pixellated, just with very subtle color changes.
mimbles May '15
Hm. This is an interesting idea. I'm actually quite fond of the cardboard looking ones, but I see the appeal of the figure-like ones.

When the update happens, what will happen to pre-made scenes using the figures? Will they automatically change? Or be removed? Or will nothing happen?
frost May '15
All of the old miniatures will change to the new ones. There might be a couple that change to something different, because I had to move a few things in the sprite sheet, but nothing too drastic.

Please log in to add a comment.