Latest Posts

Main Forums

Fabletop

Support

Report a Bug

GM Tool suggestions

jebus May '15
Greetings fellow adventurers,

There are a few tools as a GM that would be really helpful when creating scenes and placing down miniatures.

It would be helpful if only the GM could see the miniatures when they're not on the board (Bar player controlled characters), this would allow the GM to add miniatures before they're encountered and add the necessary stats without the players accidently foreshadowing and preparing for a fight that they have no idea about. (ie not using a certain skill in the current fight because he can see that he will be fighting a harder boss the next fight)

Adding to that, it would be awesome If as a GM I was also able to work on the next scene while the current scene is still being played on. That way I can add the necessary characters, for example for one scenario the party faced a general with a few soldiers, he was taken down to 2hp and fled the scene and was waiting in the next scene to further the battle. If I were able to set up the next scene with the general already there, it would add to the game.

These are only 2 current suggestions, I will add to this thread as more come to mind. Feel free to discuss/add your own GM suggestions.
ameythaler May '15
"It would be helpful if only the GM could see the miniatures when they're not on the board (Bar player controlled characters), this would allow the GM to add miniatures before they're encountered and add the necessary stats without the players accidently foreshadowing and preparing for a fight that they have no idea about. (ie not using a certain skill in the current fight because he can see that he will be fighting a harder boss the next fight)" -Jebus

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to scramble to place all the needed pieces in a room and tweak the stats, after the players opened the door; all just to keep a surprise. The ability to keep tokens hidden would be marvelous.

"Adding to that, it would be awesome If as a GM I was also able to work on the next scene while the current scene is still being played on. That way I can add the necessary characters, for example for one scenario the party faced a general with a few soldiers, he was taken down to 2hp and fled the scene and was waiting in the next scene to further the battle. If I were able to set up the next scene with the general already there, it would add to the game." -Jebus

Yes please! I do my best to have ever scene for the mission prepped, but players are crafty, and do things their own way. It's hard to prepare for everything, sometimes missions take completely different turns from the expected!

It would also be awesome to be able to store more than 8 pre-made miniatures. My missions typically use around 15-20 miniatures, each with it's own icon, color, and stats. Even being able to store them in sets would be super cool, so I can sort through all my made up monsters and their different levels.

Also I find myself wanting to reuse the skeletons of old rooms I made, but I only have them saved as scenes with all the miniatures on, and I hate having to quickly delete all the miniatures before players arrive. Being able to save just the Battlemap devoid of miniatures would be cool.
oman1666 May '15
Bare in mind the site is smaller, and being worked on by one guy. Changes will come slowly and gradually and these will likely fall very far down the list.

In the mean time... set up the needed minis that might occur on the miniatures bar, and place them when ready, asking the players to wait a moment if needs be.

and

Make scenes that MAY be needed before hand, and store them with the /save command. Making more scenes leads to less of a need to quickly make scenes mid session. Some improvisation is always going to be necessary, even if you can work on two scenes at once!
jebus May '15
Yes, I do understand that it is one person working on this whole website and I completely appreciate that. These are only here for ideas and things that while they'd be awesome if they were implemented, the whole website and functionality as it stands is amazing :)
862ian Oct '16
I Really want a way to clean out a number of Scenes (ex. like a popup that shows a checkbox that you click on the scenes you want gone)

Please log in to add a comment.