Online Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Latest Posts

Main Forums

Fabletop

Support

Report a Bug

Undocumented Trait

daretobe Mar '17  /  edited Mar '17
Hey, I am just re-making contact with Frost here. Back in May of 2016 I stumbled across something that I had never noticed, and I have no idea if anyone else has noticed it.

You all know how traits work. The +0 causes skull, but does not subtract from dice. But if the line reads " Filler: -1 " With no description, it does end up subtracting from the dice pool. If a description is added, it is not able to play the trait, nor is the existing line able to roll if it brings the dice pool to 0 with its subtraction.

Though FableTop is meant to be simple and fast, having a 'new' style of trait could be cool. My first thoughts on this 'trait' is that it would make for a great lingering injury stat, and I may use it in the future for that purpose. Using a new style of trait to be less impending than a proper +0 (Because they both remove a dice, one just locks it as skull) could be interesting to work into games. The trait already kind of works, just needs the ability to have a description.

Frost said he would think about it, and maybe support it as an Undocumented feature. Its been long enough that I wanted to see if anyone else had support for it. Let me know more about this, or if anyone is interested in seeing it.

My browser version is: (do not change)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Safari/537.36
oman1666 Mar '17
I've found before that you can add a negative when manually typing in a dice roll.

In regards to it being on the sheet, I'd guess that you can't have a description of the trait because a '-' symbol is necessary for both the minus and to begin the description and this probably messes up the formatting.

If you were able to add a description, I can see it being quite useful (If you have 3 +1 traits and a -1 trait, technically your starting traits still add to 2) and this could be quite interesting

I suppose the problem is in min-maxing. If I have 4 might and 1 wisdom and want 3 traits adding to melee for 7 attack dice at 0xp and decide to do this with a -1 trait to intelligence (because I'm playing the strong but idiotic barbarian archetype) I'm then rolling 0 dice.

To avoid 0 dice rolls, the base stat system would have to be changed to be no lower than 2 in any case, which would then limit you to only 3/2/2, 2/3/2 or 2/2/3 spreads.

Therefore, whilst negative traits are interesting to think about, they currently break formatting and could potentially break the whole system. Still interesting to think about though.
frost Mar '17
One of the main reasons not to include penalties on the character sheet is because players are more likely to "forget" to add them, unless there is an incentive (like there is with Flaws). And persistent penalties are easy for GMs to accidentally overuse, which further inhibits player agency.

Feel free to use it as an undocumented feature though, and let me know how it goes.

Please log in to add a comment.