Online Tabletop Roleplaying Game

Latest Posts

Main Forums

Fabletop

Support

Report a Bug

PXP amount Required option?

dyinomice May '15
Recently Fabletop has had an army of newbies arrive. This is good news, however... It gets a little annoying having to deal with people who don't take games seriously, having to be constantly asked questions, etc. A PXP option, where your able to select how much PXP a person needs to play your game. (Such as, an option to select that a player needs atleast one hundred PXP to play, etc.) Just times where you don't feel like having to teach someone how to correct spelling, or even just how to roll, because for some reason, a lot of people don't read the How To Play, or atleast don't read enough of it.
talhajami May '15
If you're having problems like that, why not just ask those people to kindly leave the game? You can always do that. It's even mentioned somewhere in the 'How to Play'.
frost May '15
Excluding new players is against the entire spirit of the site.

Why not learn to be patient and remember what it was like to be a new player yourself, and just answer their questions? It only takes a minute or so, and you might gain a long-time player. You have a chance to provide someone with their first Fabletop experience! If someone hasn't read the rules, it's okay to politely remind them, but realize they might still have a question or two.

If it's still such a heavy burden (sigh, *another* player wanting join my game?!) don't post your table on the home page.
talhajami May '15
Or, you could just do what frost said.
dyinomice Jun '15
You know Frost, more then half of the people are post on the Glade, it wouldn't make a difference if I posted it on the main page or Not. I understand you want us to welcome all these new players, and to allow everyone to play and enjoy. However, sometimes I want to host with players who don't ruin the set stories and series I have. You know it isn't as simple as (Sigh, *another* player wants to join my game?!). I'm sorry if I am going against the spirit of the site, the only reason I come on here is because I cannot personally afford a full set of D&D, and the only group around me who does do that only meets every Forty Five Minutes on a Thursday. I do enjoy meeting the new people and all, but sometimes, I am not in the mood to go explaining how to edit a character sheet, or to actually just roll. (Seriously, half of these new people don't even seem to read the "How to Play.") Which is why I ask if we can have a simple system to limit players to a certain experience. (Giving PXP an actual use on this site.)
frost Jun '15
Ok, I will consider it. But keep in mind that it's probably going to be relatively low priority compared to the other things I have on my todo list.
nephilim Jun '15
I thought I'd chime in as a voice for one of those newbie players.

I'd hate to see the site get to the point where a new player doesn't get an opportunity to play because all the games come up with a message that says, "sorry, you don't have enough pxp", and then when they ask how to get more pxp, it says, "play in games". That feels unfriendly, and I imagine it could drive players away.

There's also this issue: a very good way to get familiar with the site - one which I used - was to join a table and lurk. Before I played, I joined tables and watched what happened. Again, if I weren't able to do that, the site would have felt considerably less friendly and I may not have stuck around.

I agree that a GM should be able to moderate what players are at his or her table, but I think it's probably a very bad idea to use pxp as an indicator. I suspect that pxp isn't necessarily a good indicator of what kind of player you're going to end up with, and it's an attempt to attach something kind-of-unrelated to what you really want, namely, players who are learning versus those who are already capable and familiar.

In that vein, maybe instead of having some kind of artificial gating mechanism, which we all know will end up generating both false negatives and false positives, you just have a way of tagging tables as being "newbie friendly" or not, and just let players self-select into those groups. THAT would feel very friendly, would give newbies an obvious place to go to, and explicitly give them a sense of being welcome to ask questions and get started, while at the same time helping to keep newbies out of tables that don't mark themselves as newbie-friendly.

Newbies don't want to barge into games that will be exasperated with them any more than GM's want to have to deal with players they don't want at their table. I'd wager that the vast majority of the time, new players would respect those tags.
frost Jun '15
Thanks, nephilim. That's something we can try and is easier to do than something based on PXP.
supersam317 Jun '15
You could just pm or message players you wouldn't mind being on your table and invite them to your game.

Please log in to add a comment.