Cancel
Online Tabletop Roleplaying Game

« Back to Table

Latest Posts

Pyrak's Awesome idea for Equipment!

pyrak Nov '16  /  edited May '17
Basic Concept: Items have a level/grade (optimally 2-6) and when used their roll gets a percentile addition of +#0% it basically looks like this:
- (Roll's Stars)*(1.#) = Final Number (Round to the nearest whole number)

(also there's stuff on enchantments on the next post down if you don't feel like reading the extensive explanation of stuff)

Now the long part
Initial Idea was mine, Thunderstar helped with hammering out some stuff such as differentiating Armor and Shield.

Alright, so here's the issue, either equipment is made part of the traits and usually makes a character over powered way to fast, or it's just fluff and never really applied. That is no longer the case as I have figured out yet another very flexible system to work with and free to borrow so long as I'm given credit for the idea.

Rather than having them be added into the roll, or give a straight bonus, they give a percentile bonus after the roll, essentially it's like this:

RandomDude rolls a 7 on his attack, however since he's wielding Champion's Sword (3) the final number of stars is 9 (7 + 30%).

RandomChik rolls defense and gets 6, however since she's wearing Godforged Shield (5) the final number of stars is 9 (6 + 50%)

I'm keeping it to 2-6 (20%-60%) so that the stuff doesn't get way to extreme, but it does make for a scale tipper, which is exactly where you want your equipment to be. Round to the nearest whole number and use the standard mathematical rounding (just rounding up or down effects the lower grade equipment quite a bit).

The reason to start at 20% is because 10% doesn't make much of a difference until one gets a 5 on a roll.

There's two other things concerning equipment, additional effects and costs. Additional effects, well, mostly it's just be careful with them and don't go overboard, and as for cost, it'd be a good idea to make the pricing fairly exponential rather than linear that way it's more worthwhile to get the low level equipment then to hoard their goods and wait until they can get grade 5 stuff. You could also make it so that grade 5 equipment is also extremely rare (and possibly legends of grade 6 equipment that could be after a really hard high level dungeon involving at least a few deaths (bwahahaha)). But seriously, I'd be extremely hesitant to go over 50% bonus, that by itself is a very big advantage (though naturally the enemies are also likely going to have their own equipment :P )

Edit: For armor, it stays a flat bonus.
pyrak Dec '16
Now lets throw in some magic!
But seriously, about enchantments and what not. I don't have any single solid idea, though one I do have is that basically after you hit the target, you roll a roll equal to the enchantment's level and the enchantment does whatever the enchantment is supposed to do. (Burn, Bleed, Life Leach, Freeze, Stun, inflict Berserk status, poison, etc...) Well that's for weapons at least anyways.

Alright, so there's a few components to a enchantment, its level (which isn't directly tied to the weapon's grade), it's trigger (what caused it to go off), and the effect (the roll)

Trigger - the conditions when the enchantment is activated, you hitting someone with the enchanted weapon, someone hits you while you're wearing it, or possibly something else entirely like one that detects hidden threats and on a good enough roll gives you a nice little warning.

And always be creative, I'm just trying to make things easier (or perhaps just simply trying to make you guys over complicate your games mwahahah!) but seriously I do try to make these as flexible as possible so that there's plenty of room for changing things up.
kawaiirahmen Jan '17
I just want to say nice job on these sort of guidelines for how things can work in-game. Stumbled upon these by way of Palegeon's table.

(Should say I'm not finished reading, but so far these look really well-thought out and quite fun to play with.)
runeghost Mar '17
Pyrak!

I love your ideas!
yummypancake May '17
Nice ideas, i could adapt some

Please log in to add a comment.